Thursday, March 3, 2011

Nature Makes Me Itch


Ever since I was a little kid, I have had uncomfortable experiences with nature. The simple, pleasant act of going to the beach makes me break out in a rash. I live in a place where going outside for longer than a few minutes can be impossible for months at a time becuase it is too cold. In the summer, I like to hear about my friends' camping adventures, sleeping on the ground under the stars and being eaten alive by insects, but I will never go with them.

So why do I blog about nature? Because even my indoors-loving lifestyle needs nature to survive.

The water I drink must be pure and plentiful. The air I breathe must be clean. The healthiest foods for me to eat are those that are fresh and unprocessed. The best way to guarantee that I continue to have these things is to see to it that other living beings, from plankton to polar bears, have what they need to survive. Pollution matters to me. Global warming matters to me. Species diversity matters to me.

Even if I am writing this in an air-conditioned basement with artificial (but energy-efficient!) light.

No comments:

Post a Comment